Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hi Friends and Readers,
It's been a long while since I've entered a blog. For a while I was working on a novel and that took all my writing time. Then my hussband was ill and I had to focus on him. But I have a quiet moment now and I wanted to share some good news with you. I have sold a short story for the first time in my 25 years of writing. That seems like an insignificant thing, but I have discovered over the years that there is almost no market for short stories. I have had twelve books published and at least that many articles but when it comes to short stories, publishers find they don't do well selling books of short stories unless the author is world-wide known, like Rosamunde Pilcher. Even Pelican Publishing Company, who published seven of my books, didn't want to see my box full of short stories that I have written over the years. Then one day, in our monthly newsletter of South Louisiana (SOLA) Romance Writers, in the Market News section, I saw that a new magazine, New Love Stories Magazine, was looking for short romances (2000-4000 words). So I dug in my box and polished one up and sent it in by email. That was six months ago. I had forgotten all about it. Then two days ago, I received a contract in the mail asking to buy my story for a pretty nice piece of change. I could not have been more thrilled. This might possibly be opening up a whole new field to me. And even if not, I'll have the satisfaction of seeing it in print. Just wanted to share this with you. The issue with my story will probably be released around December, 2008 and the name of the story is Friends and Lovers. So long for now. Mary Lou

No comments: