Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Looking forward to writing in 2009

Hi, Friend and Readers,
When a year ends, rather than look back on opportunites missed and writings not published, I try to look forward, although I am no longer young, to new possibilities for publication. I have a short story due to be published in the first edition of a new magazine, New Love Stories Magazine, probably in January of 2009. Also, I have a manuscript of a historical romance with Kensington Publishers, waiting to be judged. Then, there are always new ideas and new possibilities, as long as one has a clear mind, the desire to write, and a computer. December is the be-all month for me. My birthday, Christmas, of course, with its parties and family visits, and my anniversary. After that, all the excitement has gone out of the year, and I can hibernate, which is good. It's the perfect time for writing...and reading, which is my passion. I have an old novel I want to revise. It is 300 pages--a romantic historical--but it needs to be 400 pages. There are many details that need telling and scenes that need plumping up, with more action and dialogue, scenes that are both haunting and exciting, and I really want to get started, but somehow the task seems daunting, and I keep putting it off "till the new year." I think I may be afraid to mess up what I think is already a good thing. I know that once I'm into it, I will get up in the morning eager to work, but that first cold splash is scary. Do any of you other writers feel that way? I'm anxious to hear. Please reply.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hello! I recently found your blog and I just read Night Jasmine a few months ago, recommended greatly by a teacher at my school in Mandeville. I enjoyed it so much, and I wanted to thank you for writing such a wonderful novel set in New Orleans!

To reply to your post, I don't write as much as I'd like, mainly because I agree that it is so difficult to get started with a story or idea. So I can definitely see where you're coming from. Once I get the ball rolling it's exciting! I wish you the best of luck in getting that start you need :)