Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mary Lou Widmer

Hi, readers and friends,
Blogging is new to me, so please forgive mistakes and aborted attempts at putting my blog together. I want to keep you posted on my activities since there are several new things going on in my writing life. Today, I'll talk about my most recent release by Pelican Publishing Co. in September, 2007, the book "NEW ORLEANS, 1900-1920," a non-fiction panorama of life in New Orleans in the first years of the 20th century, when plumbing and electricity came into the homes and street lighting brightened up Canal Street at night. The book tells of the last yellow fever epidemic, the hurricane of 1915 (unnamed, but the worst in our history until then), the great influenza epidemic, World War I, fashions, architecture, developing neighborhoods, and amusement parks. The story comes to life with vintage photos of families on porches and touring cars, of cotton bales on the riverfront and camps on Lake Pontchartrain. It is available at all retail outlets, through Amazon.com, and through me at mlwidmer@cox.net. Take a trip down memory lane. Cost $24.00 plus postage. Keep watching for more news.

No comments: